Friday, September 19, 2008

What Am I Going To Do With You?


First I must admit that this picture has nothing to do with this post. I just love the picture.
Today Luke crawled up beside me on the couch and sighed a big, shoulder-slacking sigh.
"What's up?" I asked.
"I just don't know what to do," he replied in an overly-dramatic tone.
"What do you mean you don't know what to do? Like right now, you don't know what you want to do right now?"
Another ridiculous sigh.
"Not right now. I don't know what I want to do when I grow up."
"Oh," I replied. "That's not a big deal. You aren't supposed to know what you want to do when you grow up because you haven't tried everything yet."
"I don't know what you mean," he said, perking up a little.
"I mean, you shouldn't decide that while you are so young. Right now your job is to try out as many things as you can to see what you like and what you don't like."
"Like what?"
"Well, like skiing. You haven't tried skiing yet. You haven't tried tennis, or golf, or coaching, or being a teacher, or flying an airplane, or riding a motorcycle, or anything like that."
"Well, what else haven't I tried yet?"
"Let see, you should try playing a musical instrument, cooking in a fancy restaurant, studying spiders, being a zookeeper, a gardener, a cameraman, a mailman, a librarian... there are so many things you should try to see if you like it."
"OK," he says.
"So, what would you like to try first?" I asked eagerly.
long dramatic pause...........
With great confidence and improved posture he looks me right in the eye and says, "Drinking beer. I think I'll try that first."

2 comments:

Jill said...

LOL oh my gosh that is great. JJ you should write a book. I love reading your blog, you have such a great way of writting. I love the pic too.

Alli Blue said...

That was sooo funny! He is such a goof! I am glad you post conversation style. It makes it easy to read to Jason!!!! ;)